What is Email Marketing?
Email Marketing is the forefront of digital marketing strategies since the invention of email and is a very effective way of sending your commercial message to a group of people via email. Having the ability to control your own traffic is extremely valuable for you and your business as it provides you the opportunity to build an ongoing relationship with either your current customer database, newsletter subscribers or new leads that opt-in to receive further information.
As a business, understanding the lifetime value of your customer empowers email marketing further as it can lead to repeat sales thus increasing your return of Investment (ROI ) while helping promote customer loyalty by staying in touch and providing value.
Why you need Email Marketing
Whether you’re an online business, affiliate marketer or network marketer, real success online comes in the form of controlling your traffic and re-marketing to them, more importantly, it builds brand awareness by providing important information like:
- Company Promotions
- Special offers / Discounts
- Product Launches
- Important News
- Blog Updates
Email marketing allows you to convey your message to your entire list with just one click of the mouse allowing faster results and no other inbound marketing strategy can compete with this but SMS marketing. It’s no surprise why email marketing rains supreme and will continue to do so for years to come.
If you have a strong email list that is loyal to your brand, you should be making roughly $1 per subscriber, so if your list is 10,000 strong then you should be making $10,000 monthly and this is why top digital marketing professional always say “The Money is in the List”.
The Benefits of Email Marketing
Email Marketing has evolved since its early beginning back in 1971 when Ray Tomlinson sent the first ever email ( For detailed timeline head to “The evolution of email marketing” ) which then lead to the first mass email in 1978 by Gary Thuerk, a Marketing Manager at Digital Equipment Corp. Gary Thuerk paved the way to what we now know as Email Marketing and his first mass email generated over 13 million dollars in profit and for 1978 that is astounding since you didn’t have all the benefits as you do today.
Today Email Marketing has evolved immensely in regards to how you market to your list. With powerful autoresponder tools like MailChimp providing click tracking, analytics, segmentations and demographical data, allows greater control over your list.
Such benefits for email marketing include:
- It’s cost-effective. Yes, there are initial setup fees, but when compared to traditional marketing platforms email marketing comes out tops for long-term affordability.
- Increases Profitability for your company. If you know your lifetime value of your customers email marketing will bring a greater return of investment and with autoresponders allowing you to create a free account it’s a complete no-brainer to be utilizing an email marketing strategy.
- It’s quick & efficient. A single click allows you to send a uniform message to hundreds or thousands of database email addresses. Best of all – these people signed up to receive your news, so you have a captive audience!
- It’s measurable. Email Marketing provides measurable results that you and your team can use to improve your marketing strategy.
- It enhances client relations. Staying in touch with your clients fosters brand loyalty, trust and repeat business.
The Don’ts of Email Marketing
The lure of fast money via email marketing brings spammers into the frame. As stated earlier, you have the ability to reach a wide audience at the click of a button and this incredible power brings about the wrong type of people who abuse this.
Have you ever wondered why you receive so much junk in your email account? I constantly get emails from individuals I’ve never opt-in to. A lot of businesses purchase email lists from other companies, bloggers etc which they send their offer too. This is legal, you are allowed to purchase databases from other people being that list has been built legally, so this will continue to happen.
But there are bad methods that people are doing that you need to stay away from, why ? Because this can and will get your I.P banned and fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for spam from ISP’s (internet service providers).
If you’re looking to implement an email marketing strategy please stay away from these bad methods.
- Don’t scrape email lists using email scrapers – This is very bad – Email account providers like Gmail, Outlook will quickly pick up on this and that’s if your autoresponder provider hasn’t shut you down already. So please don’t try to trick the system you will be found out and shut down and potentially charged.
- Don’t make promises you can’t keep – There are a lot of scammers out there don’t be one of them or you will pay the price.
- Don’t use black hat methods to hide your email I.P – This usually happens with individuals running their own servers and will use illegal methods to mask their mailing servers identify. Please don’t do this, eventually, you will be uncovered and depending on the damages you can be looking at huge fines or jail time.
- Don’t Spam – This is a huge problem in email marketing. Your emails are crawled by a number of bots from ISP and Email account clients such as Google, Outlook, and Yahoo. These bots scan the content of the email to determine whether your email is of quality or junk. Make sure your emails are off quality to avoid going straight to junk folder and worse case banned from your autoresponder provider
- Stay away from copy and paste email series – This issue has come about because of the home based business where people just copy & paste email series into the autoresponder. The problem with this? If 1000 people are sending the exact same email, Email Account providers will pick up on this and will begin to mark this as spam. This is why you’re beginning to see a lot of Email Service providers moving away from home based business because it’s beginning to hurt their authority. Please create original content.
Well there you have it, you now have a full understanding of email marketing helping you put your best foot forward when starting your email marketing strategy.
Email marketing will provide incredible results for you and your business over time so make sure you stick to white hat methods and provide value to your email list.